Monday, August 6, 2012

On Typos, Part One: A Missed X Compels the Why

Internal versus Eternal Conflict.

That's what I typed.

That's not what I meant to type.

I meant to type Internal versus External Conflict.

I have been spending most mornings in a  local coffee shop here in Louisville doing curriculum work for the school district in which I teach high school English.

Here's how it happened: I opened a new document, prepared to create an activity on the Internal versus External Conflict present in a particular piece of literature.

But I missed a letter. The X.

External Conflict became Eternal Conflict.

I missed the X and the title of an assignment became a personal summons.

Internal versus Eternal Conflict.

Perhaps on some subconscious level, it's exactly what I meant to type.

You see, I was wondering if and when my perception of God and experience with religion would work its way into my little blog.

Funny it started as a typo.

Internal versus Eternal Conflict.

The thing is, typos happen.  

But when a typo is recognized, a move is forced.

The typo must be corrected.

Or, if caught too late, apologized for.

Internal versus Eternal Conflict.

And so this typo forces my next move.

I've decided I will be brave and write about my religious experiences, but I won't pretend it will be a fair account. Because it's too, too close. Because it happened to me. And my sister.


And though it happened to others, it's our story I will attempt to write. 

So, I can never be objective. Because I know what they did. And I know the damage.

My little heart. (And hers.)

Painfully tormented.

My beliefs. (And hers.)

Matted. 

Bloodied.

Eternal conflict.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a beautiful writer and so very courageous to share your feelings! I heart you!!!:)

    ReplyDelete